WORDS LIM CHAIN YIN
LIM CHAIN YIN
SEA Nutrition Lead
PORTION OUT YOUR SNACK
- Be sure to pace yourself throughout the equal halves.
- Once you’ve decided what you want to eat, portion it out. This can help you slow down, so that you enjoy your snack.
- Check in with yourself to see if you’re full and satisfied before having another portion.
- To keep tabs on how much you eat, always check the serving size per package on the label and put your snack in a bowl or on a plate.
ALTER YOUR CHOICES
If you’re watching the game late at night, you might have a craving for something to eat. Remember that your body works harder when it’s sleeping, so try to snack on something light that will give you energy to keep going, but won’t make it hard for your body to digest.
ENJOY EVERY BITE
Snacking while engaging in other activities—in this case, watching the game—can easily lead to unconsciously eating more than you should.
- Take a moment during the interval to savour your snack with all of your senses. To fully enjoy your snacking experience, pay attention to the smell, taste, texture, shape, and colour of your food.
- Take small bites and chew slowly and be sure to finish one bite before starting the next.
PUT YOUR SNACKS OUT OF REACH
When watching a game in your living room, make sure your snacks are beyond arm’s reach. That way, you will be less likely to keep going back for more and inadvertently grab more than you need.
DRINK WATER, LOTS OF IT!
Your brain tends to trick you into wanting to snack more, but you might just be thirsty. So, drink a glass of water and wait for a couple of minutes before deciding whether or not you’re hungry.
Snacking mindfully is a simple way to tune into your body’s needs. It can be practiced by anyone, anywhere, and at any age. It is a great habit in cultivating a positive relationship with food by making deliberate and conscious choices to promote your well-being as well as keeping a balanced lifestyle. But habits take time to build and change, so taking small steps is a good way to start out!